In recent months, the world is going through a pandemic. A situation where no one would have anticipated a health crisis. This has impacted everyone in some or other way. Many businesses and sectors have a downtrend in their revenues since the pandemic. Which makes me come to a common question asked to me by aviation enthusiasts and followers.
Is It The Right Time To Become A Pilot?
The first impression you get is that it is not the right time to start your career. But you will be wrong to come to this judgment right away. If you look at today’s scenario, the world is opening back from four months ago. The flight travel is coming back slowly but steadily as and when the international borders are opening up. It does not stop here; the cargo flights have increased by a reasonable amount. The airlines worldwide are adapting to the changing times, giving their best for their customers. The airline industry has always been a super adaptive field; it stands up to its challenges and with a big heart.
If we go back to the year 2001, post the twin towers episode, there was a fall in demand to fly, but this recovered quickly. People came back to flying because people need to travel. If we go to the year 2008-2009 during the worldwide recession. Again there was a momentary dip in demand, but then it was back with a bang. Whenever there is a downtrend in the aviation industry, it comes back with an astonishing rise.
So, my friends who are looking forward to starting their career in aviation or those who are already done with their training and looking up for an airline job, I will say don’t lose your hope so soon. Things are getting better.
- To the ones who are starting their training:
- First and foremost is to plan out your things for the next two years span, maybe delay your training and manage your finances.
- As per the country you are going to do your training in, you can do the prerequisites needed, for example, medicals and written exams in this duration.
- The flight schools worldwide are also opening back; by the time you are done with your training and everything, the aviation market will be in the same place as it was Pre-COVID times.
2. Who are done with their training and waiting for a job:
- My only suggestion will be to keep yourself updated with your studies and keep all your licenses current, these are challenging times, and we need to stay positive and work towards our goal.
- You can work in someplace and earn some money keeping yourself busy and your dream alive.
- Always look at the big picture, don’t let such temporary breaks hamper your ride.
According to the ICAO and the aircraft manufacturers, there will be a demand for pilots as per their predictions for the coming ten years, which stays the same as it was pre-COVID just that there won’t be instant hiring for new pilots. The demand remains only. The timeline has gone a bit ahead.
At the end of the day, we all are humans; we see many ups and downs in our lives. We learn from this to continually learn and adapt to new things that happen now and then. With technology and science, we shall overcome this pandemic soon.
All of us love to travel, be it for work or leisure, to meet friends and family. That is the only thing that keeps us connected. And no better way to travel than flying. The safest and most convenient way of transport.
There is always light at the end of the tunnel… Be safe!
Until Next Time, and As Always “We Speak Aviation”…
Written by Pilotamireh Social Media Team Akshay Salvi